Friday, June 3, 2011

A GLORIOUS AFTERNOON


The other day I went to Starbucks and read. By myself. For hours. It was one of the most glorious afternoons I’ve had in quite some time. 

I don’t know about you, but when it comes to relaxing I feel guilty. It’s hard for me to sit still when I know there is work to be done. So I end up “watching a movie” which really means vacuuming, washing dishes, and folding laundry. Or I’ll go for a walk which I rush through while mentally creating a list of what needs to get done the second I’m back home. 

Although I usually feel a (self-centered and prideful) sense of accomplishment after not relaxing all week, I am also cranky, tired, and burdened with everything that hasn’t been finished yet. Imagine my surprise when, after my relaxing afternoon at Starbucks, I returned to my work with MORE energy (shocking, right?).

God tells me to rest. I don’t have to do a lot of studying or interpreting to understand Psalm 46:10, “be still and know that I am God.” Even if there was no benefit from resting (not the case), God’s authority in my life should be enough of a reason to obey. 

Join me in experiencing God’s blessings that come through rest. Get it on your calendar, ask a friend to watch your kids, leave the dirty dishes in the sink for a few more hours, and give yourself time to relax! 

LINDSAY HALE

No comments:

Post a Comment