Monday, October 17, 2011

YIELDED



We sat around the breakfast table, chowing on good food and drinking our favorite breakfast drinks. I love meeting with these young ladies. These 20-something girls are hungry for God and His Word. Their hunger is sobering to me. It keeps me reliant upon the Holy Spirit for God’s direction and His Words as I grow with these girls.
While we talk through the Scriptures, real-life questions emerge. I too, ask similar questions over the years as I walk with Jesus.
Does my life honor You?
Am I too comfortable in my life?
Does my life still honor You when I am comfortable and content?
Does my life really look like a true disciple?
No wonder these thoughts are on the minds of young women who desire to give their lives entirely to Jesus, as His disciple. Sometimes our flesh gets tangled in our questions and we privately add these thoughts:
Shouldn’t I be doing bigger or greater things for You?
Do I need a title or a position of status in order to really make an impact for the kingdom?
Am I Your disciple if I am not living on the mission field and risking my life for You?
We poured over the Scriptures to find answers to these nagging questions. What is God’s desire for us as Christ followers? There are so many verses to ponder.
We discovered that Paul was content in little and content in much; as He relied on the strength of God (Philippians 4:11-13):
“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”
Then we were challenged by his yielded life (Galatians 2:20):
“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me”.
Lastly, I read a newly discovered prayer by John Wesley. His words date back from 1755, and are taken from the Puritan Richard Alleine. This is not exactly a new prayer, but it is new to me, and renewed in its ability to meet the passion of our hearts on this day:
“I am no longer my own, but Thine.
Put me to what Thou wilt,
rank me with whom Thou wilt;
put me to doing,
put me to suffering;
let me be employed for Thee or laid aside for Thee,
exalted for Thee or brought low for Thee;
let me be full,
let me be empty;
let me have all things,
let me have nothing;
I freely and heartily yield all things to Thy pleasure and disposal.”
This is the prayer of this Christ follower today.
Yielded

BONNIE CHRISTENSEN

No comments:

Post a Comment