Thursday, April 14, 2011

CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC

Like many of you, we are on a tight budget.  Problem is, I like to shop.  Okay, that’s an understatement.  I love the hunt for a sale, the smell of new leather, the texture and weaves of fabrics, even the excitement of a new bag of groceries.  Is it obvious?  I can get out of control.  So, I’m fasting this month.  Not from food, but from shopping.  Whenever I have the impulse to shop unnecessarily, I’m staying put.  I’m exchanging the desire with more productive things.  And I’m not doing it alone-I’ve asked my Heavenly Father for help.  Help honoring my husband in this matter, controlling my impulses, and managing our financial priorities.
It’s now the third week of this shopping fast, and it is getting tough!  Today I drove past the Galleria and thought about going in to browse.  The quiet voice of the Holy Spirit, our Helper, reminded me, “Watch the path of your feet and all your ways will be established.  Do not turn to the right nor to the left. Turn your foot from evil” (Proverbs 4:26,27).  I didn’t listen.  I turned right and parked.   I paused for a moment after stepping foot into the store, then stubbornly took the escalator to the women’s department.  I sifted through the bargains and picked a few to try on.  I can always justify a sale!  Again, the Helper told me “Flee”.  This time I listened.
As I drove home, tears filled my eyes.  Not from guilt or shame, but gratitude that God has given us the Helper to guide us into a life that is honoring to Him.  He doesn’t force us into action; instead He speaks to our hearts and gives us power for daily living.  It’s up to you and me to listen, respond “yes”, and then experience the freedom that comes from walking closely with our Lord.  This is what it means to “Walk in the Spirit”.
Whatever the battle you face today, will you let your Heavenly Father know you need His help?  You can trust that the Holy Spirit, your Helper, will do His job by guiding you into all Truth.  Ask Him to help you hear His voice and to respond, “Yes, Lord”.  Then come back and tell me how He blesses your life!



BONNIE J CHRISTENSEN

No comments:

Post a Comment