Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Monster in the Mirror

Have you ever witnessed a mom screaming uncontrollably at her children and in turn wanted to give her a piece of your mind for treating them that way?  As I was waiting at a stoplight while driving to drop my son off at school, I looked in my rear view mirror to see a mom screaming uncontrollably at her children.  Her hands were flying in the air and you could plainly see the intense anger in her facial expressions.  I sat there thinking to myself “What a way to start your kids’ day? If you could only see yourself right now and how horrified your kids are. What a monster!” How could someone be so angry at a child that they deserve to be screamed at?   I could not get the sick feeling out of my stomach for most of the day.

About a week later, I witnessed the same thing.  The only difference this time was when I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw MYSELF.  It was me this time screaming at my kids.  I was horrified.  Who is this woman?  My kids don’t deserve this.  I immediately broke into tears, pulled my car over and asked for God’s forgiveness.  Once I calmed down enough, I asked for my kids’ forgiveness and explained how wrong my actions were.  I could have handled the situation better.  I was the monster in the mirror this time. 

I have since witnessed the same kind of events, only now I am quick not to judge.  I say a prayer for all involved and hope that they have a wake-up call like I did.

Laura Kearns

1 comment:

  1. This is a great article... one day I will have these words to haunt me when I am driving down the road with my kids...

    ReplyDelete