Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I AM ME: A Poem for World Down Syndrome Day

Hello.
It’s me.
You can call me…
sweetheart
kiddo
sunshine
Call me…
student
equestrian
swimmer
Call me…
artist
dancer
singer
Call me friend.
I am me.
I am…
charming
stubborn
silly
I am…
affectionate
moody
kind
I am…
imaginative
exuberant
bossy
I am sweet.
I am me.
I have…
parents who adore me
sisters who tease me
a little brother who follows me around
I have…
grandparents who dote on me
teachers who are proud of me
friends of all shapes, sizes and colours
I have…
fears and dreams
favourite songs and movies
strong opinions about my own life
I have Down Syndrome.
have
Down Syndrome.
But I am not Down Syndrome.
iammeI am me.
So here’s my homage to the lovely “Lose the Label” campaign (@Lose_the_label). Because we are, all of us, more than our diagnoses and disabilities.

March 21 is World Down Syndrome (aka Trisomy 21) Day. You know, 3/21 for Trisomy 21… get it?
In honour of the unique and wonderful people we know, who happen to have Down Syndrome (especially the one we feed and hug and tuck into bed every night) I am posting a link to this tearjerker. I defy you to watch it and not get choked up:
Dear Future Mom…

CHRISTIE HOOS

No comments:

Post a Comment