Monday, June 25, 2012

HOW GREAT IS THE LOVE OF THE FATHER




“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are” I John 3:1
Meditating on the Father’s great love for us, this picture comes to mind. A.J. missed his Daddy so much while he was away for a week serving in Mexico, that he ran quickly into his arms as soon as he saw his Dad return.  “Daddy! Daddy!” I was able to click my cell phone camera in time, because the strong embrace lasted so long. How great is the love of this father and son.
I have been a little wound-up lately.  My heart is racing as though I have consumed a tank of caffeine. It has been a difficult “Special Needs Month” as we deal with battles and situations beyond our control. The aching in my heart pulls me to crawl under the covers and sink into my sadness. But the Lord keeps giving me this picture of my child running into the arms of his father.
Is that the kind of love You have for me, Lord? Is that the kind of love You have for my child?
I choose not to hide under my covers in despair. Instead, the love of the Father draws me to His embrace with these comforting words from Psalm 121:
“I look up to the mountains—
does my help come from there?
 My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth!
He will not let you stumble;
the one who watches over you will not slumber” NLT
It isn’t easy being vulnerable, but I have finally learned to allow the body of Christ to bear with me in my burdens. I am entrusting my special requests to trustworthy friends who pray on our behalf.
This is when I cry, when I let the walls of self-preservation drop and allow others to come along side us. Augh, this isn’t fun.
As anxiety rises up within me, my mind plays certain ugly scenarios over and over. The Lord interrupts my anxious thoughts, “Be still”  He says, “And know that I am God”.
I ignore Him, “Wait a minute Lord, I need to finish this thought”.
“Be Still” my Father interrupts me again, “And know that I am God.”
I took my thoughts captive and rested in the God who knows all, who loves my son and who will tend to His needs as the Loving Shepherd He is.
Today I choose to rest in the arms of our Father. How great is the love the Father has lavished on us!
“You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
It is high; I cannot attain to it
If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
even there your hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me.”  Psalm 139:5 & 10

BONNIE CHRISTENSEN
WomanGoneWise.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment