Tuesday, November 15, 2011

LORD, MAKE ME KNOW MY END





“O LORD, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!
Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!”
Selah
Psalm 39:4-5, ESV
Do you ever wonder what the word Selah is doing weaved between the Psalms?  It is a note commanding our observation. Stop here. Sit awhile. Take time to consider and apply this truth.
The Psalmist is not asking God for the time and date of his death, nor for a glimmer into the future.  Man craves to know the future; being tempted to call upon psychics and horoscopes. The Lord tells us to avoid such things. Instead, He tells us to take one day at a time.  This involves trust and acknowledging Him as we take each breath.
The Psalmist is asking his Creator to help him understand the brevity of life. Our time on earth is a mere breath compared to the Eternal God. Yet, most of us live with the assumption we have many days before us.  Isn’t it easy to waste these days away?  The demands of meetings, extracurricular activities and the plethora of television channels and entertainment compete against the opportunities to serve, love, worship, and hear Jesus.  Before we know it, we have lost days and months investing in things that don’t have eternal value.
How will we ever be able to break free from the sinking sand of living in vain?  I need to ask God for help.  Throughout the book of Psalms we read key phrases; “Teach me. Remind me. Make me. Help me.”
“So teach us to number our days, that we may present to Thee a heart of wisdom” Psalm 90:12
Lord, teach me to see things in light of eternity.
Remind me I am just passing by, I am a transient on this earth.
Make me understand Your wisdom.
Help me to live accordingly.
Do you ever consider how you would live differently if you knew it was your last days? Would you love more, laugh more, spend your time differently, and eliminate empty chatter? Would you take more risks for the kingdom? What would your life look like if you decided to abandon your fears and put it all out there?
Are you willing to let the Lord rearrange your life today?
Get in the habit of taking inventory of your days; asking yourself  if your energies were spent on empty deeds or with eternity in mind. Invite the Lord to teach you to number your days, in order to present to Him a heart of wisdom.
Lord, this place is not my home. My life is but a breath.  Remind me of my end, that I would live passionately - with full abandon - unto You!

BONNIE CHRISTENSEN

No comments:

Post a Comment